Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Virtuous Pre-Wife, Part 2


Take time to learn to serve others before yourself.

I always had dreams of being a successful business woman while raising a family. These visions blossomed as I began my Bachelor's and continued to grow as I started my Master's degree. The world was an exciting open book where I could turn the page and start a new adventure as a professional musician. I practiced hard honing my skills; all I wanted to do was perform.

However, as I reached the end of my second semester at graduate school I began to really think about my future. How would I be able to work as much as I am now without sacrificing something. A decision had to be made; be a career woman or family woman.

At that moment of time I saw it as me accepting success or failure. Choosing not to go on with my profession was nothing less than me giving up.

I see now this thought process was wrong. You can work and be a homemaker, but you do indeed need to chose what to sacrifice. Family is the most important aspect in life.

She is like the merchant ships, she brings her food from afar. She also rises while it is yet night, and provides food for her household, and a portion for her maidservants...She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies sashes for the merchants.
 Proverbs 31:15, 24
 
The Proverbs 31 woman had no idle time on her hands! She cared for her own, and also provided a small income. However, her husband and children were number one in her life.
 
Society tells women of this generation careers first, family second. But sacrificing your profession for family doesn't make you a failure!

It is an act of love.

As a single woman waiting on marriage, now is the best time to learn to serve others before yourself. Even as a Christian we are to learn humility just as Christ humbled Himself for us.

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, He humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name.
Philippians 2:5-6 

What service is your church needing right now where you can help others? Is there a local homeless shelter that needs volunteers? Find ways to put others before yourself. Learning these qualities is not only good for your future as a wife and mother, but a skill to better yourself as a person!

And when you do this, you will be praised by the ones you love and by God!
 
Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and praises her: ''Many daughters have done well, but you excel them all.''
Proverbs 31:28-29
 
My dear fellow Pre-Wives, what better reward is there than achieving our Heavenly Father's praise? Let us begin now serving Him and assisting others so we are better prepared to humbly attend to our own.

*Disclaimer: There are women who have no choice but to work. That is still a work of servant hood and most importantly love.*


Nancy Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment