Monday, May 19, 2014

Pride & Crisp

Pride issues have been haunting me my entire life. I cannot make a crisp without thinking about the first delectable crisp I ever had at six years old. 
Blackberry Crisp
My parents took us water skiing to Bass Lake, someone in the party brought my first taste of an apple crisp. From the first bite I had visions of making the best crisp ever, I would be known for my crisps! I thought of the different fruits I could use...even watermelon (obviously a naive dream of a six year old).

Years later I never forgot that crisp. I still see it on the table with mom and dad unpacking and joking around. The gentle gentle breeze streaming through the cabin...I even remember one woman in the party strutting around in her new bikini for all to admire, the sounds of ski boats, but most of all I remember that crisp.

Since then, I have been on a quest for the best crisp recipe. I managed to find the best one ever in my early twenties...decades ago.

Gosh, over fifty years later. Here is the recipe, not world famous, but more importantly a loving tradition and frequent request from my beloved family. Use any fruit...except for watermelon!

Fruit Crisp
Preheat 350°. Place 1 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon in mixing bowl and blend together. Add 1/2 cup butter and mix. Arrange 4 cups prepared fruit in 2 quart baking dish. Spread oatmeal mixture on top of fruit. Bake for around 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold with milk, cream, or ice cream.

They crave it on a variety of fruits plum, peach, nectarine, berry and the favorite apple. So, the recipe that makes my family happy is developed. God has humbled and keeps on humbling my pride issues. Thank you Lord, Mom and Dad are in Heaven. And I have a delightful recipe that unifies my family in happy times and troubled times.


Poe wants to know what's cookin!

Mother Judith

No comments:

Post a Comment