Saturday, January 4, 2014

31 Day Homemade Beauty Challenge


 
 
For the New Year, I decided to give myself a thirty-one day Homemade Beauty Challenge. What this entails is thirty-one days of not using any face moisturizer, makeup remover, and face wash products with toxins in them. What inspired me to do this project was how I do all this work to eat cleanly and take care of my body, yet I lather on all these pollutants during my beauty routine!  

Initially buying the merchandises are a tad expensive, but with the oils a little goes a long way. Some products I want to use include Aloe Vera Juice, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Lavender water, Rose Water, Witch Hazel, and Apple Cider Vinegar (with the Mother). I also want to experiment with oats, walnut shells (these come free to me due to my Walnut farmer connections) and different scented oils.

The first product I tested was a moisturizer/makeup remover. I found variations of this recipe throughout the internet, and created my own. I used Aloe Vera Juice, Sweet Almond Oil, and Jojoba Oil. The Sweet Almond Oil moisturizes and softens the skin. The Jojoba Oil helps fight acne, shrink pores, removes makeup, cleans and nourishes skin. The Aloe Vera helps soothe dry skin and helps with wrinkles. The reason I use juice is because it absorbs into my skin better than the gel does.

 I found a half pint jar, filled it with Aloe Vera, and then added a teaspoon or each oil. Careful to not add too much oil because it will make your face oily! This makes a nice moisturizer due to each element you are using, my skin feels fresh and smooth after applying it upon my face. For a little kick you can add a drop of Grapefruit Oil, the smell is amazing! I know some products that use grapefruit in their face cleaner and I hated it, my skin reacted weird to it. However, the Grapefruit Oil smells so fresh and invigorating. The antioxidants in the oil are also very beneficial for your skin.

Make sure to test each recipe out on a small section of your skin before you apply it to your whole face. You never know how your skin may respond.
I will keep posting my updates throughout the month along with other recipes I have experimented with!

Nancy Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment